Hey, I've been sick in the last 3 days and it was impossible to write something. As I still want to send something, here a raw edition with no comments. See you on Friday.
Gen Ai 🤖
- QLoRA: Efficient Finetuning of Quantized LLMs — 65B parameter model on a single 48GB GPU reaching 99.3% of the performance level of ChatGPT on Vicuna.
- Modding Age of Empires II with a Sprite-Diffuser.
- Github Copilot Chat announcement.
Fast News ⚡️
- clickhouse-local vs DuckDB — DuckDB is not the only one to work great locally. In this test clickhouse works better.
- The Future of Data — Everyone wants a piece of the pie; no one wants to bake.
- Data Modeling, architecture Pattern, tools and the future — part 3 of Simon's guide.
- Microsoft Fabric — everyone was talking about it on LinkedIn. This is the Lakehouse integration for Analytics into Azure. Here are first impressions, how it includes with Power BI and a few remarks. Honestly this looks like a disguised Databricks.
- States of data season — Airbyte's state of data, Databricks's, lakeFS's.
- Engineering Levels: a simple framework for startups.
- Writing design docs for data pipelines.
- Databend and the rise of Data warehouse as a code.
Data Economy 💰
- dbt Labs reduced 15% of their staff. Tristan announced it on the blog and the company provided transition perks. It was a sad announcement.
- Snowflake acquired Neeva — A generative AI search company that was in difficulty got acquired by Snowflake.
- EU hits Meta with record €1.2B privacy fine — under GDPR.
- Elementl (Dagster) Raised $33m — to continue building the data orchestrator.
See you soon. ❤️
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.